Friday, January 12, 2018

Bank Shot

Stubborn:  Refusing to move or change one's opinion; obstinate; firmly resisting.

I have this very close, sometimes contentious relationship with the guy who is in from out of town.  I spoke about him at some length with My Therapist yesterday.  It made me realize how important this relationship is to me - just how important.  He's a lot like me - competitive, somewhat arrogant, definitely pedantic, stubborn as shit - while differing in important ways.  He makes his decisions on the feel of things while I relentlessly investigate the facts as I understand them, then decide dispassionately.  It's helpful to have a friend who looks at things differently.  I still want to tell him why he's doing it wrong.

My Therapist was surprised that I made a second appointment and that I kept that appointment.  She was convinced I wouldn't come back.  Sound like an arrogant, pedantic, stubborn know-it-all?  The last few visits have been along the lines of shooting the shit, poking around, digging a little deeper.  I'm getting something out of it and I often don't see the it coming.  At the beginning I was in a deep hole so it wasn't too tough to figure out that I needed to dig furiously.  Now I'm shaping the contours of the rut that I've furnished and occupied.

No comments: