Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Bitching Seaweed

Cynic:  A person who's outlook is scornfully negative.

I'm in Hawaii, garden spot of the world, and I don't fucking get it.  Don't get me wrong: I get it but I just don't like getting it.  I can see how great a place this would be if you were a water person or you had little kids or you lived someplace where it's very cold so that simply being someplace warm would be reward enough.  Some folks are living busy, stressful lives and need a break.  But for someone who is none of those this place seems slovenly, lazy, a haunt for slackards.  I've never understood why wearing an untucked shirt and baggy exercise pants is shorthand for "relaxed."  What?  If you're shirt is tucked in and has a collar you're stressed out?  

On my first night I stood at the concierge desk behind a woman in a dripping wet bathing suit who had no business being out in public with much skin exposed.  Hey, this is my vacation, too, and seeing all of that corpulent, sagging flesh is not making things better for me.

And it is, as you know, all about me.

I'm at a resort, too, and that means I'm in a community of travelers who like resorts.  Kauai, to its credit, has tried to keep development under control so no high rise hotels.  This means resort life is more or less the selection.  This allows the aforementioned slackards to stagger between the pool and the various buffet meals, mostly unclothed, maybe taking time out for a nap. I'd tip my cap to the outliers who are reading around the pool but I haven't seen a book that falls outside of the genre Shit Literature.

No one but me does it right.

I am keeping my mouth closed.

"Scornfully" negative.  I like that.  I'm looking forward to going home and telling people: "Hawaii . . . meh."


No comments: