Thursday, July 6, 2017

Lobster Trap

Trap:  A trick or arrangement designed to catch someone in a more general sense; a snare.
(Ed. Note: What does "in a more general sense" mean?  That a trap is not a trick designed to specifically catch someone?  That sounds like a crappy trap).

Life is definitely a mix between the Long View and staying in the minute.  I know that things work out well over time - despite some ups and downs as I move along.  Over chunks of time the trajectory is up so it's best not to get too caught up in the down cycle.  The down cycle will end.  It's also a helpful reminder that we should enjoy the good times because they aren't going to last forever, either, although this isn't as pleasant a message as the one reminding us that the bad shit is transitory.  When it's good I'd like it to stay that way - when it's not I'm all for change.

And talk to people!  Don't just talk to yourself in your own head!  There's no one in there!!  The perspective of other people can be amazing.  Eye-opening.  I find so often that people have experience with whatever minor problem is currently occupying too much space in my head.  My lobster trap is too much time alone, thinking.  I can get into the trap but I can't get out of the trap.  This is why it's a trap.  I'm a great thinker.  My thoughts are often crap but that doesn't stop me from indulging them.

But the yin to the Long View yang is my favorite and yours: One Day At A Time, a concept that emphasizes, to my way of thinking, that you should work hard at being where you is at.   If I spend all of my time trying to keep perspective on the far distance then I'm not in the minute which is where I actually am.

Do you see the irony here?

No comments: