Thursday, July 20, 2017

By The Numbers

I'm not going to vouch for the numerical accuracy of the following statements under oath but I am in the ballgame  . . . 

Anxiety is one of the most common reasons given for a visit to a primary care doctor.  Some studies show it's the biggest complaint.
People who are having a panic attack often misdiagnose the symptoms as a heart attack and go to the ER.  Lots of people.  The ER is full of anxious people who think they're dying of a heart attack.
The number of drugs prescribed each year in the US of A for depression and anxiety is around a hundred million bazillion.  
People that suffer from anxiety are often some of the most privileged people in the world. People who aren't privileged are afraid.  Of real shit.  They're not imagining some ridiculous scenario where they're homeless and forced to put regular grade gas in their Porsche.  And use Wal-Mart wax which may or may not be appropriate for today's modern clear-coat finish.  The horror!

I texted my friend who referred me to this therapist: "Last week with M was a breeze.  Today I was VERY uncomfortable."
Her reply: "VERY uncomfortable may be a messenger from deep within that wants to be heard.  Relax, breath, listen, trust your beautiful self."
I countered: "My preference would be for the messenger deep within to clearly articulate in proper English exactly what it wants."

I'm sick of all this repressed shit.  Help me reach out.  Help me find the answers.  Help me release whatever is inside me get out.

My therapist likes SuperK.   So do I.  Pondering whether it would be a good time for the both of us to go in and talk.  We have been together since 1988.  Almost 30 years.  Stuff has undoubtedly changed.

People often are surprised by my claims to anxiety.  Here is why, maybe:
a. I project a calm exterior and often, I am calm.  I think I would make a good bomb defuser.
b. I have been sober a long time.  People often equate long-time sobriety with equanimity in the world.  This is often true, but not always.
c. I am . . . ahem . . . not a callow youth.  People often equate age with wisdom and experience.  Again, often true but definitely not true.  There are a lot of old people who are dumb-asses.
d. I know that I feel better when I'm trying to help someone else so I try to get other people - especially newer members of The Fellowship - to open up and talk about themselves.  They often oblige.  While I usually feel better I recognize that I need to talk about myself from time to time.
e.  I forgot what e was.

No comments: