Saturday, July 29, 2017

Hope I Die Before I Get Old

It has been interesting to gauge the reaction of people when I relate the events of that lousy one year period.

My mama died, and I'm a mama's boy.
My sponsor of 25 years - a man that I was closer to than any other man on earth - died.  Six hours before my mama died.  I wasn't even able to make it to his funeral or wake because I had family matters to take care of.
My papa dies, and slowly and painfully, submerged in a sea of alcohol.
And my cat died.  I don't believe I've given this its proper due.  This was an animal that was a daily presence in my life for 18 or 19 years.  And as is the way of cats this animal picked up on the fact that I initially didn't like cats and glommed onto me like super glue.  I couldn't turn around with tripping over her.  As soon as I sat down she jumped on my lap.  To SuperK's everlasting consternation.
Finally, I turned 60.  I know that it's just a number but it's the number that a lot of people see as an irrevocable passage into old age.  I have been joking about being old for a while but now I really am pretty old.

That's a tough 14 months.  Every time I was getting off the mat I took another left hook, all while I was trying to figure out how to mourn appropriately.

Will you still need me, when I'm 64?

No comments: