Friday, July 7, 2017

An Elephant Is A Mouse Built To An Alcoholic's Specifications

I surely take small things and make them big things.  I take implausible things and twist them around until they make sense.

I don't have a lot of regret about how my life has unspooled but I do have a tendency to imagine bad shit happening in the future.  Maybe everyone does.  I know this to be true: I hate people who are always happy and optimistic.  Where do they get off behaving that way?

Have A Nice Day Elsewhere.

One of my fellow Grief Group members - a guy from The Program who's in his early seventies - recently recovered from a long and pretty serious infection.  He said that the big revelation, as he was lying in bed pondering the slow pace of his recovery, was that maybe this was the time when things didn't get better.  After all, something is going to kill us eventually.  Maybe this was the thing.

THAT fucked me up for a couple of weeks.

I was joking with my wife's sponsor about my the fact that I imagine every last ache, pain, and hangnail to be cancer.  The Big C.  She laughed, nodding her head, before saying: "Well, cancer does get a lot of us."

THAT fucked me up for a couple more weeks.

I try to take the Long View.
I take positive action when it seems warranted.
I try to repeat positive affirmations.

I hate people who repeat positive affirmations.  Its seems so New Age-y.

No comments: