Saturday, November 12, 2016

The Big Lie

Some observations gleaned from powerful people in the public eye.

If a person lies and lies and lies then I'm a fool to believe the validity of anything that person has said.  That person is not going to be inconvenienced by a promise that they've made.  I really try to speak truthfully at all times.  Sure, sometimes I exaggerate and embellish and pretend that I know something with great certainty when I'm sort of winging it, but as a general rule you can take anything I say as the gospel truth.  I cannot stand the feeling that someone doesn't trust my words and I loathe getting caught in a lie.

Unfortunately, I have a natural ability to lie and I enjoy lying and I have a long, storied history of telling lies, all facts which hinder my truth-telling abilities.  Nonetheless, when I slip and when I'm caught I 'fess up.  I don't shrug my shoulders and say: "Tough shit."

If a person has a lot of good qualities and a few bad ones, or conversely, a lot of bad ones and a few good ones, I try to evaluate the overall body of work. I try not to throw out the baby with the bathwater, so to speak.


Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater
Sometimes I see people who are so enamored with a single thing that they can put up with a whole lot of bad things, which is a bad thing.

No comments: