Sunday, November 13, 2016

A Metaphorical Slog

Trajectory:  Metaphorically, a course of development, such as a war or career.

I find it comforting to recall that the overall trajectory of my life has taken an upward course.  I find this especially comforting when things aren't going the way that I want them to go, when I'm having problems of money, power, and sex, the inevitable problems of money, power, and sex, the ones I've had for years and the ones that I'll continue to have, and also when events in the outside world aren't to my liking, when I'm failing to control everyone and everything to my liking.

Things have gone up.  Relentlessly up.  There are always dips and bumps in the upward trajectory but the overall track has been up and up, steadily up, like a line drive home run still climbing as it clears the center-field fence, lost in the bugs and humidity and gloaming of a July evening.  I need to be careful not to stare at my feet as I hike, looking at all the rocks and sticker bushes, transforming a wonderful experience into a painful slog.  I need to look up at the magnificent vista ahead or around at the magnificent views over the landscape below.

It's going to be OK.  It's always going to be OK.

No comments: