Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The Jabbing Clinic Affair

Optional:  Left to personal choice; elective

I have health insurance and for that I'm grateful.  It doesn't cover anything and for that I'm also grateful although not as grateful.  That's the great thing about health insurance: it works fine as long as you don't need any healthcare services.  My very, very big health insurer has surely taken a page right out of the GWOMPO playbook - namely, they takes the money in but they don't gives the money back out.

The needle jabbing procedure that I just went through - and it went fine, by the way, although my gratitude for this lasted several seconds and then vanished - was deemed optional by my insurer. "Not medically necessary" were their exact words.  I can just see the insurer's scrivener hustling onto the scene of a horrific auto accident that I've been involved in: "That tourniquet is not covered!  We are not paying for that totally optional tourniquet!  There is some perfectly fine engine wiring spilling out of that destroyed car that you could be using."

As you can deduce, I am not a fan of the insurance industry.  The health care industry is on my shit list, too.

Back to me.  The Jabbing Clinic that I used gave me a private pay price for my procedure.  The number quoted was Pretty Fucking Big.  I don't think I got a break on the price.  Fair enough - I inherited a little money and I figured this would be a good way to spend it.  When I showed up for my first jabbing procedure the staff explained that they were going to try to do both legs in one shot rather than attacking them in two separate appointments.  Fine by me as any reduction in jabbing sounded like a good thing.

I paid for one leg before I went into the jabbing room as they weren't positive on how things were going to go; got jabbed; exited the clinic.  I came back for a follow-up; was not jabbed;  and exited the clinic. So the question is this: did the jabbers decide that the amount of money quoted was for one appointment or was it per leg.  They didn't ask for more money at the end of either visit and I didn't bring up the matter.  Frankly, I found the sum of half the amount to be appalling so I wasn't going to voluntarily offer to give them any more of it.  If they want some more money they're going to have to speak up.

So - the ethical quandary.   Do I offer up information or do I remain tight-lipped?

I do have to add this, too:
Jab: a quick stab or blow; a short, straight punch.

No comments: