Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Man Who Mastered Fear

As a man who is prone to anxiety I usually ask myself: "Why are you doing this?" at right about this juncture of a big trip.  I have the "getting there" part of the trip still ahead of me which is, of course, the worst part of the trip - the discomfort of planes and taxis and airports all loaded with the anxiety-producing "out of control" facet and complicated by the "everything is new and unfamiliar (and thus even harder to control)" angle.  I'm usually looking at my little trailer house and my stuff and my routine and wondering why in the world I feel the need to leave.

This is from our book: "Some of the things that used to stop me in my tracks from fear still make me nervous in the anticipation of their doing, but once I kick myself into doing them, nervousness disappears and I enjoy myself.  In recent years I have had the happy combination of time and money to travel occasionally.  I am apt to get into quite an uproar for a day or two before starting, but I do start, and once started, I have a swell time."

How specific is that?

Another section in this story: "It would be wonderful were I able to tell you that my confidence in God and application of the Twelve Steps to my daily living have utterly banished fear.  But this would not be the truth.  The most accurate answer I can give is this: Fear has never again ruled my life since that day . . . " that I quit drinking.

No comments: