Tuesday, August 4, 2015

TripToTheAirport.Com

A friend of SuperK's offered to pick us up at our house and drive us to the airport.  Here in Vacation City, where traffic and a huge airport frequently make this trip a trial and a tribulation.  Compounding the beneficence of this offer is that we need to head out around 5PM, in the teeth of rush hour.  We were uncomfortable with this generosity and took great pains to try to talk this woman out of the task or at least give her the opportunity to come up with a plausible excuse, but she was adamant.

It reminded me of the suggestion that a great way to receive a gift is by saying a simple Thank You.  It robs the giver of the joy of giving to downplay the gift.  I learned that when I was making my amends - I felt a greater sense of relief when the aggrieved party acknowledged my poor behavior and then forgave me than when everything I did was waved off as not that bade a

It also helps when someone is driving us to the airport, a task I wouldn't undertake for less that $750, which makes the gift all that more precious to me.

No comments: