Monday, June 22, 2015

Seaweed, Thinker Extraordinaire

Think:  To communicate to oneself in one's mind; to try to find a solution to a problem.

I had to laugh out loud when I saw that definition.  Wow.  

"What's the matter with Seaweed, anyway?"
"Oh, he's just communicating with himself.  In his own mind."

Great.

Anyway, I went to my 12&12 book study on Friday and we read Step 11: Prayer and Meditation.  Then, on Saturday, I went to my Prayer and Meditation Step 11 meeting where we read - you guessed it- Step 11 out of the 12&12.  We read about prayer and meditation from a variety of approved literature sources on Saturday so I was hoping that it would be one of the other selections.  I must have needed to find an answer in those readings.

I was struck by the phrase: "Why can't we take a specific and troubling dilemma straight to God, and in prayer secure from Him sure and definite answers to our requests?"

In my Quiet Time this morning I was trying to pray if by "pray" you mean "think weird and troubling thoughts about myself."  The idea that it would be in my best interest to do what comes up in my head when I'm trying to connect to god with laughable - this is why I have lots of friends to talk to.  They're always saying things like: "You're going to do what now?"

The selection continues: ". . . the thoughts that seem to come from God are not answers at all.  They prove to be well-intentioned unconscious rationalizations" 

Well, I don't know about the well-intentioned part.  I do know that there is often nothing scarier than talking to someone who is convinced that he or she is interpreting the will of god that he or she has received directly.  The conceit that I'm better at talking to god than you are is beyond laughable.

No comments: