Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Long Run

It's interesting to me that we have a relative lack of people with mid-range sobriety: there are a ton of folks in the 1-5 year range and a handful with 20+ years but in the intervening years we seem to lose a lot of our momentum.  I guess we're not making the big, spectacular gains of our early sobriety so the work becomes much more . . . well, work-like and thusly unpleasant.  And it is, of course, easier to do the work when you're just one step ahead of a whole lot of mad people in hot pursuit.

The chair at our meeting last week was a young woman who had recently celebrated a year anniversary.  She remarked that she hadn't been as active in her recovery over the last few weeks and that she needed to do something about that.  I don't believe that I've seen her since.  Maybe she's going to some different meetings but I doubt it.

We're definitely in this for the long run.  This is a marathon not a 100 meter dash.

No comments: