Sunday, February 15, 2015

Humble Pie Was A Pretty Good Group

Humble:  Thinking lowly of oneself; claiming little for oneself; not proud, arrogant, or assuming; modest.  

At my men's meeting we read Step 7 this week.  This is a very good Step.  It's good to read it.  I personally think that Steps 6 and 7 get kind of shat upon in our main book - humility and willingness are big, complicated concepts and they get reduced to a couple of paragraphs.  I understand this as the founders were struggling with explaining why spirituality is the key to recovery - a pretty big matzo ball for a lot of people to swallow - and then were doing some pretty serious detailing of the inventory process - the biggest of matzo balls to choke down.

I'm losing my train of thought here.  The point is that the discussion about humility came down to the realization that many of us started to feel some real contentment when we got our arms around the concept of being humble.  "Feeling comfortable in my own skin" was a phrase that came up repeatedly.  It seems that we feel comfortable in our own skins when we stop trying to pretend that we're someone else - we're not pieces of shite and we're not Commanders of the Universe.  It's somewhere in between.  What you see is what you get.

I realize today that I'm comfortable with who I am.  I don't do a lot of pretending anymore.  I don't care that much about what other people think of me - I still have to behave myself but I don't have to be perfect anymore.

Yeah?

No comments: