Friday, April 4, 2014

Trash-Talking Locals

The great thing about this trip is that we are staying for a couple of months rather than a couple of weeks.  It's hard to beat the jet lag and the time change and the circadian tampering all while trying to go go go.  The first day we slept in.  I'm not much on sleeping in.  I'm not a big fan of sleeping at all, figuring it to be a waste of my precious time although I have to admit that's an old tape because I now very much like to sleep if my bitchiness level when I don't sleep is any indication which it is.

The great thing is that I'm able to be in a place instead of trying to wrestle the place to the ground and conquer it.  Much of the time I feel like I'm doing it wrong, that I'm missing something very important.  The funny thing is that the big attractions are usually crowded and something of a disappointment but I remember in great detail the being part of my trips, much more so than the doing part.  

The big highlight today was sitting in a tiny neighborhood restaurant full of locals jabbering at a high volume - unintelligibly to us, trying to order something off of the menu, eventually giving up and going to the food prep area and pointing at some stuff that looked good and still not getting what we pointed at anyway, in the midst of two vicious games of dominoes that were being punctuated by the dominoes being slammed on the table with the report of a Kalashnikov, accompanied by what I must assume was some venomous trash-talking.  

The big cathedral?  Eh.  Looked like your average big cathedral.  The big art museum?  100 people in line because it was a rainy day.  The small modern art museum?  Inexpensive and empty.  

No comments: