Thursday, April 24, 2014

Totally Reassured

French is one of those languages that sounds smart.  I walk by a group of blue collar guys eating lunch and listen in for a minute.  I imagine that they're discussing Cardinal Richelieu or an obscure variety of Bordeaux when in fact they're musing over the latest football match or the most excellent cure of constipation.

One of the most interesting things about the US to EU transition is adapting to the pace of life here.  At home everything is lightning fast - here it's much more deliberate.  I'm always surprised when my food is made to order at the simplest places.

And back to the bathrooms  . . .   I talk about food a lot - being a food guy, someone who enjoys shopping for food and buying it, preparing meals, eating what I've made - because I think it's a universal language.  I learn more about a culture from what they eat than anything else.  The French spend a LOT on food - it's amazing.  

Anyway, we toured this great old ruined castle perched on top of a sheer cliff face yesterday. On the way in I entered a bathroom.  Inside, it was all stainless steel and everything was wet and dripping, dozens of nozzles protruding from every surface - a self-cleaning WC.  I felt like I was in an escape pod attached to the space shuttle.  As I was . . . you know, peeing . . . the whole thing began to growl and rumble a bit.  I thought that it was going to go into self-cleaning mode while I was in there which would have been a GREAT travel story.   I never did figure out how to flush the toilet or run the sink.  I got the hell out of there.

There's a big weekly market setting up right outside my window.  It is a thing of beauty.  These people are professional food folks and I live in the fruit and vegetable capital of the United States.  In Barcelona I passed a small shop that only sold legumes.  That's one of the best shops I've ever passed.

We stopped at a little restaurant yesterday for a post-hike coffee.  Two euros or about $2.60.  We did, however, order large coffees which doubled the price and asked for milk which added some more.  Nine euros or about $12.  I believe that was the most expensive two cups of coffee I've ever ordered, ever.



Entrance fee: 5€ (reduced 4€) | School groups: 3,50 € | Free for accompanier (10 students) 

Reserve on-line from now on, in a totally reassured way, by clicking the button below.

Never a good sign when you're told you can do something in a very reassured way.

No comments: