Thursday, June 6, 2013

Wattles and Hackles

Hackle:  By extension (because the hackles of a cock are lifted when it is angry), the hair on the nape of the neck in dogs and other animals; also used figuratively for humans.  

On occasion I take the time to write about some terrible problem that's going to befoul my existence prior to the befouling event actually taking place.  This is the recommended technique - it allows me to see what an idiot I am before I move the idiocy forward into concrete, formidable action - only confirming the idiot moniker - and it's also an irrefutable record of how much time I spent on a problem that either never happens or is easily overcame when it does come to pass.

So far everything has gone swimmingly in the selling of The Real Estate.  It didn't take very long at all; it was minimally disruptive to my busy, busy life as an amateur philosopher; we received an offer well above what we actually paid for the place; we have an extra month before we have to move out, important because we don't exactly know Where We're Going!  an error I've made before without learning any helpful lesson.  Today the buyers are having The Inspection.  This is the part of the process where people hire someone to find any hidden problems that the scumbag sellers are trying to sweep under the carpet.  Not surprisingly someone who is hired to find problems is usually going to find a few problems.  What's he going to say: "Eh.  Looks fine to me."  The buyers would feel gypped.  They'd think: " I could have found no problems all by myself and at considerably less expense."  If someone is going to give $300 to a certified inspector who drives around in a beat up pickup truck then it's important to be upset about someone trying to screw you over by not disclosing serious defects.  

I could feel my hackles rising this morning.  Fortunately, I have some excellent hackle-lowering devices even though I don't actually have any hackles.  I took a nice walk downtown for my morning meeting, where I was asked to share, not a common event.  It's amazing how often I'm called on to talk when I need to talk.  I didn't need to share the details of The Real Estate with anyone - I just needed to be an active part of the group.  Then I called some friends who have a similar perspective - I want to make sure my great big old ego doesn't spring up and ruin things over the matter of a few dollars.  It helps to have friends of all stripes and stations.  I need to talk to someone who has experienced a similar outrage at being taken advantage of and walked back from the Precipice of Rage.  It's nice to hear someone say: "How important is that (fill in the blank) going to be in a few (fill in the blank)?"

"How much (fill in the blank) are we talking about?" 

No comments: