Thursday, June 13, 2013

It Takes What It Takes

I believe that the war I've been having with myself is over.  The Great Stevie Seaweed vs. Steven Weedsofthesea has come to an end.  Millions were killed and maimed, countryside was laid to waste, cities ground into dust - all within the Seaweed brain.  We've gone from fury to anger to annoyance to self-righteous indignation to calm acceptance in only a matter of 4 or 5 days.  While this doesn't seem too impressive it is better than the amount of time it used to take which was forever.

I had some good conversations with old friends about the specifics of my cartoonishly bad treatment at the hands of a cruel and unjust world.  Some advice that comes up over and over is to try to take the long view.

"How important is this?" I'm asked.  
"Pretty fucking important," I reply.
"Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?" they say.
I've never understood that question.  I want to be right AND happy.  I want them both.  I want it all.

It took this amount of time to straighten out my thinking.  It took what it took.

No comments: