Friday, August 31, 2012

Unshakable!

Shadrach:  One of the three Jewish captives in Babylonia who were cast into a blazing furnace by Nebuchadnezzar and came out miraculously unharmed.

Just wanted to see if everyone was paying attention on the definitions.  You might want to google Meshach and Abednego and get a jump on tomorrow's words for the day.

I think Shadrach would be a cool name for a linebacker.

SuperK, ever the good German girl, seared the phrase "intensely practical" in my mind a while back.  I'm a pretty good German boy so it wasn't that hard to do.  I'll do just about anything if it's going to give me concrete results; I don't even have to understand how the process works as long as I see the results in others.  I also like this quote: "There is a direct linkage among self-examination, meditation, and prayer.  Taken separately, these practices can bring much relief and benefit.  But when they are logically related and interwoven, the result is an unshakable foundation for life."

Unshakable!!  Well, our founders did get a little carried away from time to time, but I think they were on to something by suggesting that we need to weave all of this stuff together.  I needed some encouragement with meditation; it seemed so non-specific.  Praying I got: more talking about myself, a concrete, tangible action to take.  

Anyway, I have added a new concrete defense to those who ask: "So what do you do all day?"  I have mentioned that I now lead with the information that I'm in recovery.  It does indeed take a big (but well-worth it) chunk of my time and that revelation has the same effect as an elephant gun has on a charging rhino to anyone who is presenting a holier than thou attitude; or perhaps I should say a busier than thou attitude.  Now I've started to add this: "I meditate a lot.  I try to sit quietly with myself without FREAKING OUT!"  It IS something I do.  It's productive as hell.  It's a productive action.

Another round from the elephant gun.

No comments: