Saturday, August 18, 2012

Galileo

Egocentric:  Viewing everything in relation to oneself; self-centered.

I obviously don't know anything about this.

Whenever I have a concept that I'm trying to embrace or a state that I'm trying to attain I find it helpful to think a lot about it but not do anything about it.  In an action sense, I mean.  I don't want to take any action.  That sounds time-consuming, tiring, and frankly, not worth the effort.

Then I pick up The Book and look for my favorite chapter: Into Thinking.  It's right between How I Think and More About Thinking.  Boy, there are a lot of titles in that book that suggest an emphasis on Doing and not on Thinking.  It's very irritating.

As I ponder this mythical, unicorn-like, Big Foot-ish, Loch Ness Monster-ey state of being, Being Of Service, I find that a great action to take is to quit viewing the world as if everything rotates around me.  This is especially helpful when I'm dealing with other people, who are the worst.  They get in my way and hinder my progress toward getting everything I want and avoiding everything that is painful.

The point that I'm trying to make - believe it or not there is a point to this screed - is that people aren't thinking about me.  I can quit ascribing evil motives to everything they do.  They're thinking about themselves, just as I'm thinking about myself.

For a guy who NEVER thinks about anyone else it's surprising that I think everyone else is ALWAYS thinking about me.

No comments: