Thursday, July 12, 2012

Ordinary Seaweed

Ordinary:  Customary; usual; regular; normal.


This is one of those words that, when I go to retrieve its definition from my ancient Webster's, I find the page tattooed with the letter B.  I put a B next to any word that I look up.  When I forget the definition time and time again I know that I'm dealing with a concept that isn't sinking in.  There were a lot of Bs around "ordinary."   Apparently I don't think that it's a concept that applies to me or I'm offended when I realized  that it does.


If I go to work and show up on time and stay until the day is over and actually work when I'm there; if I'm courteous to my colleagues and respectful to my superiors; if I do my job to the best of my ability and don't steal office supplies; then I've had a good day, a successful day.  And god forbid I should take things a little further and be extra nice to a client or clean up around my work station, things that I don't have to do to stay out of trouble.  Ordinary behavior.


You know what?  I do this stuff and no one gives me a medal.  I think I should get a great, big old medal for doing what I'm expected to do.

No comments: