Friday, July 13, 2012

Humble

Humble:  Having or showing a consciousness of one's defects or shortcomings; not proud; not self-assertive; modest.


We discussed humility in the meeting today.  Step 7 is generally considered to be the location of the Mother Ship of information on humility.  I like that the definition implies that when I'm willing to look at where I may be defective then I'm considered to possess at least some humility.  There's no groveling self-abasement or lack of self-respect in the definition.


"Oh my god," said SuperK.  " Self-awareness of your own defects.


Pride:  An over-high opinion of oneself; exaggerated self-esteem; conceit.


Humility is a difficult concept for me to understand in theory and, from what I heard at the meeting today, I'm not alone.  The best observations I heard today were from other confused people who weren't thinking about how to get humility overly much; rather, they were taking action of some kind.  ANY action seemed to be the idea.


One dude said: "I try to make everyone that I run into smile."


How simple is that?  IO can do that.  I can take that action which a friend says leads him to serenity.  When I first entered The Program I was over-whelmed and discouraged by all of the the difficult concepts I read in The Steps.  How was I ever going to get a handle on them?


"Don't worry about all that," my trusted mentors told me.  "Clean out that coffee pot and I'll see you at the meeting tomorrow morning."


Simple as that.

No comments: