Friday, May 4, 2012

Molten Brimstone

Molten:  Melted or liquefied by heat.


The other topic that is prolific in my Journal du Complaints is the weather.  I complain about the weather in kind of a free-floating, existentially depressing way a great deal of the time.  I'm tall and skinny with lousy circulation and low blood pressure so cold weather really does affect me.  I hold hands to say the Serenity Prayer after meetings and I feel like I'm grabbing onto an electric hand warmer.  "If only I had hands like that then I'd be happy," I think.


Note to self: Never use the phrase "then I'd be happy" when talking to sponsor.


I see hell as very, very cold - frozen waterfalls and biting winds and that damp chill that sinks into your bones and just won't get out.  None of the stores in hell carries warm coats or sock caps.  This vision is one of the main reasons that I don't want to go to hell; that and all the really boring people that must be there.  Molten brimstone, my ass.  I hope heaven has molten brimstone in a big cauldron that I can soak in while I'm having my Quiet Time.  I'll be the guy wandering around in either heaven or hell -- wherever I end up -- looking for the thermostat to turn up the heat while I'm shedding excess clothing.  I'll be tapping other wraiths on their insubstantial shoulders and saying: "Is it just me or is it cold in here?"


I doubt that there's anything in the world that I have less control over than the weather as long as we aren't talking about SuperK.  



No comments: