Monday, May 14, 2012

Gold Doubloons and Willing Virgins


Gratitude doesn't come easily for most alcoholics. Sometimes it doesn't come at all or only after vigorous exertion. We drift most naturally into the problem. We dwell in the problem as if it were a condo in Maui. It's amazingly easy for us to concentrate on what's wrong. It's irresistible if we are indeed having some kind of problem, which is inevitable for all of us. For people that bitch so much about what's wrong we sure spend a lot of time contemplating it.

I personally get up in the morning ready for trouble. I pick up my sawed off shotgun and start firing. Back hurts -- kaboom! Boss is an ass -- kabang! Not enough money -- kablooey! I could be sitting in that Hawaiian condo up to my armpits in gold doubloons and willing virgins and complain about the view.


Seriously.  I'd be complaining about something.


No comments: