Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Ego Destruction Continues . . . Sort Of

Spectacular:  Unusual to a striking degree; characterized by a great display, as of daring.


This I read recently : "We can be the ones who take on the unspectacular but important tasks that make good Twelfth Step work possible . . .  Whether our audience is one or many, it is still Twelfth Step work."


I read that.  I didn't say that I LIKED what I read.  I'm trying to pay attention to the reminders that I'm only one person in the great scheme of things, and not an especially important one at that.  I don't want to do unspectacular things.  I want to be noticed.  I want my nickname to be something like Spectacular Steve instead of the very popular Half-Measures Seaweed.


I don't want to share my story in front of a small group.  I want to give the keynote address at the next international convention.  I'd be the one knocking Bill W off the stage to get at that microphone.  Look at me, Look at me!


All of this stuff helps me to continue to break down my ego.  My ego is made of very, very hard rock.  It isn't possible to tap at it gently with a small ball-peen hammer.  It requires repeated blastings with dynamite and even then I'm lucky when a small piece is dislodged, and even luckier still when I don't make a mad rush through the lingering dynamite and hard rock smoke to try to superglue the small bit right the #$!! back on. 


Where's that tube of superglue?

No comments: