Monday, August 8, 2011

A Ton

Heft:  Weight; heaviness, hence: importance, influence.


I chaired a meeting yesterday.  In this part of the country, the chairperson shares for a few minutes to establish a topic and then calls on people.  When I was done, mightily impressed with myself, of course, I looked around the room for a minute.  I couldn't help but think of this old joke: "The good news is that there's a solution.  The bad new is that it's us."  Mostly, I was impressed with the caliber of people I saw.  There were a lot of folks out there with real substance.  I don't run into too much fluff and air in AA.  I run into a lot of strength and weight.  There seems to be some thoughtfulness and purpose behind the fear and insecurity that so often floats on the surface.


I'm under the impression that most alcoholics fall in the Type A personality category.  I know a lot of us protest that we're cool and calm and relaxed but I still respectfully disagree.  We take things seriously.  I don't mean to suggest that we can't laugh and have fun and enjoy life but I do believe that when it looks like the enemy is going to breach the ramparts, I'd like to have a crowd of drunks around me.  


I think we'd get the job done.  I think we'd rise to the occasion.  

No comments: