Thursday, August 18, 2011

To Dream the Impossible Dream

Impossible:  Not capable of being, being done, or happening.


In case you're under the impression that The Program is based on some type of new and undiscovered spirituality take a gander at these words found in a book written by a Buddhist dude of no special import: "No matter how much you just gained, you are either going to lose some of it or spend the rest of your days guarding what you have got and scheming how to get more."


This concept can be found, almost word for word,  at the end of Step Seven.  Bill reminds us that the result of this type of life philosophy is that we will be "living upon a basis of unsatisfied demands in a state of continual disturbance and frustration."  That sounds like me when I staggered into the rooms.  That sounds like me from time to time in my sobriety.  My main accomplishment today is that I'm not disturbed and frustrated all of the time, or even most of the time.  That may not sound like much but for a guy who was afraid and upset 24/7 it's not a bad place to be.


Today I understand that I'm not going to get everything I want.  It's impossible.  It doesn't mean that I can't desire something but rather that I'm not compelled to chase after it.  It doesn't mean that I'm not going to fear something else but rather that I'm not condemned to quake in fear.



No comments: