Saturday, August 13, 2011

Horseface Steve is in Control.

Control:  To exercise authority over; direct; command.


I had a dream last night.  I'm sure I had many dreams last night but I remember this one, which is unusual because usually I sleep like I'm dead.  Anyway, I was in a play and I was running late; I was dressed in some clothing that would be appropriate for a Shakespearean play -- leggings and high necked collars and little slippers.  Maybe I was Hamlet or Macbeth or King Henry!  Certainly someone very important and absolutely crucial to the production.  I doubt I would have bothered to show up at all unless I was the center of attention.


The play was in a big, open, airy church.  It was an old church, with lots of stained glass windows and transepts and soaring stone arches.  There were dinner tables set up all around, decked out with linen tablecloths and fine crystal and floral centerpieces.  OK, I made that last part up so that I can embellish this not very interesting story.  The tables were round and covered with white tablecloths.  They could have been cotton or some cheap synthetic material.  I can't speak with any knowledge about the quality of the dinnerware, either.  But there were a lot of dressed up people sitting down or milling about the space, and they were nicely dressed.


I was running around asking where I should go.  "I'm in the play," I explained.  I hadn't practiced.    I didn't know anything about anything.  I didn't know shit.  I felt anxious, which seems reasonable considering I was getting ready to perform in a play that I hadn't practiced for.


There are no hidden cues in this fairly literal dream.  I'm in a church, which ain't going to happen even if I am cast as Hamlet.  And I'm in a play and I don't know where to go.  Certainly this reminds me of the characterization in our Book about The Director.  You know the guy: the one who will be happy if he can just arrange all of the scenery and get everyone to go where he wants them to go and behave as he sees fit.


I guess I'm lucky I wasn't naked.  I also have a recurring set of dreams where I'm in a university type setting and I have no clothes on and I'm trying to find the room where the final exam is being administered for a class I have yet to attend.


Control?  Me, control?

No comments: