Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Difficulty Factory, LLC

My brain is a Difficulty Factory.

The goal of my spiritual life is to be OK no matter what the external circumstances are; I can't will others to change or, even worse, the whole world to change to satisfy my whims.  I try to figure out what god's will for me is in the next five minutes -- I believe this is as close to understanding god's will as I'm ever going to get.  I try to do what is in front of me.  I try to do that.

I don't want to take the gift of recovery for granted.  My trials with my disease have made me a unique individual.  There are very few people who have the power to help active alcoholics recover like recovering alcoholics.  MDs can't do it; religious leaders can't, either; and PhDs in matters of the mind can't help like we can.  We can help solve the problems of people who are hopeless.  We are Large People.  Our presence liberates people.  That is an amazing responsibility and an amazing gift.

You don't believe in god?  What god do you not believe in?

No comments: