Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ancient Corollaries

Corollary:  A proposition that follows from another that has been solved.

And as long as I'm talking about ancient riffs, I might as well include my thoughts on ancient corollaries, such as my ability to see the worst in even the most pleasant of circumstances.  I can ferret out the dark and the dank in the Mojave desert, at noon, in the middle of the dry season.  I can miss the breezy and the airy if you put it in a bottle and stapled to my forehead.

In the New City I have noticed some things that I don't like.  And because I don't like them they dominate my thinking.  Dark thoughts are familiar and I return to them over and over again, swirling them in my mouth like a fine vintage of Diet Mountain Dew.  My natural inclination is not to line up the dark thoughts mano a mano with pleasant thoughts to see how paltry and pathetic they actually are.  Or to try to moderate these thoughts by seeing nuance or exception in them.  

If it is a certain way, then it will always be that way, unless it gets worse.

No comments: