Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In This Corner . . . Weighing in at 180 pounds . . .

Fight:  To struggle against opposition; try to overcome someone or something; contend.

I'm not quite the fighter that I used to be.  I don't want to suggest that I never fight anymore.  I just don't fight all the time.  In the past if I wasn't fighting I was itching for a good fight.  I did whatever I could to get something started.  I was quite the provocateur.  Unfortunately, I lost far more fights than I ever won.  I got slaughtered half the time.  Made no difference to me.  I kept fighting.  I was born to fight.

For a 98 pound weakling I had a remarkable lack of fear when it came to The Opposition, which was anyone who wasn't me.  I would take on an entire army of well-armed aliens without blinking an eye.  It never occurred to me to turn around to see if there was a hole I could crawl into until the aliens went pillaging somewhere else.  I was the guy who put my boat in the water and paddled upstream, right into the Raging Rapids of Doom.  I didn't see the point in going with the flow.

Today I try not to fight so much.  It takes a lot of energy to be at war all of the time, to say nothing of all of the wounds and blood.  Our Book suggests that we have to quit fighting everyone and everything.  It suggests we have to do this or it kills us.

I still like to fight. 

No comments: