Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Dream On

Dream:  Anything so charming, lovely, or transitory, etc. as to seem dreamlike.

Dream big.  Dream on.  Personally, I hate to restrict myself to sane, manageable choices.  Swing for the fences, I say.  Dreaming's free, I say. 

I used to play Small Ball.  I was so afraid that I was going to strike out and make a fool of myself that it was all I could do to get into my Uniform of Life, which was a pretty cool uniform.  Kind of an amalgam of super hero and sports hero and rock star.  Practical in a way, but very flashy and hot. 

No more.  Today I get in my cuts.  I whiff at plenty of pitches in the dust and wave at the occasional fastball 2 feet over my head, but every now and then I really smoke one.  It's gratifying to watch the ball sail over the center fielder's head and clang against the wall. 

There was an old Pittsburgh Pirates catcher named Manny Sanguillen.  Manny would swing at anything.  Manny got his cuts in.  I loved that guy.  He made me laugh.  He struck out a lot, though, but it didn't seem to bother him that much.

"Joy is just the shadow made by pain."  Swedish National Curling Team Member.  Not a real one.  One on The Simpsons.

No comments: