Friday, November 6, 2009

Is Yours an Innie or an Outie?

Needs: Something useful, required, or desired.

Yesterday I decided to explore my Inner Child, and that was a big mistake. My Inner Child is a pain in the ass. Maybe I should work on my Outer Child first, also a pain in the ass, and someone who causes a lot more problems in my life than the inner one. My Inner Child is just fine; maybe he should go play with all of the other Inner Children and leave me alone. If I could figure out how to open the gate and let him scamper free I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm not suggesting that I can totally ignore my psychological make-up. I'm suggesting that I shouldn't get too bogged down in it. Maybe some basic understanding of how I got to where I am today, and then get on with working The Steps. I'm not too big on getting My Needs Met, as in "I'm just not getting my needs met at that meeting." Well, tough shit. My needs are clean water and food in my belly, and a warm, dry place to sleep at night. Everything else is A Want.

Maybe I can trick my Inner Child so go away. Leave him some Maternal Love or Positive Feedback peanuts outside. He likes those. He'll follow those for thousands of miles.

No comments: