Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Emperor Who Had No Clothes, At Least Not Any That He Was Wearing.

We alcoholics think that we're fooling everyone when we're drinking. We're fooling almost no one. I was the guy walking around with a gash on my forehead, courtesy of a door or a sidewalk or someone's fist, and a blood-soaked shirt, thinking: "Nobody seems to notice this. I think I'm pulling it off." I figured I could conceal the smashed windshield if I parked my car at the end of the lot. I'm missing my front bumper, you say? How about that.

One night I came home after a long bout of drinking and drug use -- which is a redundant qualification in my case -- and decided to listen to a little music before passing out. I put on an old LP and started to rock or groove or chill or drool. Almost immediately, the door to my room swung open -- my bedroom was right next to my parents; I'm sure they couldn't hear the stereo at 3AM -- and my mother stood there a minute, glaring down at me.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

"Yes. What? Yes." I said, cleverly.

She lingered a minute before going back to bed. I probably didn't turn the music off, or down. I was probably angry at being interrupted, in the middle of the night, in her house.


"Fooled 'em again," I figured.

The next day I cued up the record that I didn't remember listening to. A weird, syrupy drawl came out of the speakers, like Darth Vader singing punk rock in slow motion, underwater, with a mouth full of Novocaine. Apparently when I placed the album on the turntable in my drunken state, I bumped the switch which changed the speed of the turntable, slowing it way, way, way down. It reminded me of Hal losing power in 2001: A Space Odyssey.


Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.

No comments: