Friday, September 25, 2009

I Am Iron Man

Biggish: Somewhat big. (Shit. I didn't think I was going to find this definition. I had something pretty clever to say.)

I'm contemplating doing something new. Actually, a couple of new things and they're both on the biggish side. I don't like new and big as a general rule because I get afraid that things won't work out well for me. I realize that this is a redundant topic, that I'm repeating myself and saying the same things over and over. I'm too lazy to come up with new things and too shallow to come up with big things.


Herr Luber calls these topics "ancient riffs." I'm sure he's thinking about Beethoven or Vivaldi and not "Smoke on the Water" or "Iron Man," but we're in sync with the general concept. Sometimes it's OK to hang on to a few core beliefs. There's some stability with that. Sometimes it's fun to run amok, too.

I do think that life is one big amusement park. I think we should enter the gates and just run around like 5 year olds, shrieking and gesticulating wildly and changing our minds every chance we can get. "I want to ride the roller coaster," we should scream. "No! The Twister! I mean the Mouse Trap! Whoopee!!" I spend too much time thinking about whether the Mouse Trap is going to make me nauseous or the line for the roller coaster is too long or why would I get on any of these fairly dangerous rides considering the general appearance of the carnies operating them? I'm not sure the quality control is too good.


I don't mean new things like playing Russian Roulette or selling all of my Stuff and going to live in the mountains of Bhutan. That's crazy new, which can be OK some of the time as well, Mr. Iron Man. I'm talking about controlled train wreck new. The kind where you know you're going to wreck but you aren't going too fast and you have the brakes locked up and you're wearing a helmet. That would be pretty cool, just to see what happened, as long as it's someone else's train. Don't do this with your own train. That would be crazy new.

And glad to hear from Edward. People show me how to look at things from a different point of view.

No comments: