Mindfulness means paying attention to the present moment on purpose and without judgement. It is the basic human ability to be fully aware of where you are, what you are doing, and how you feel, rather than being overly reactive or overwhelmed by thoughts.
Mindfulness means maintaining a moment by moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and surrounding environment through a gentle, nurturing lens. Mindfulness also involves acceptance, meaning that we pay attention to our thoughts and feelings without judging them. Without believing, for instance, that there's a "right" or "wrong" way to think or feel in a given moment. When we practice mindfulness, our thoughts tune into what we're sensing in the present moment rather than rehashing the past or imagining the future. Life slows down. I make better decisions when I'm listening for that small, still, inner voice instead of careening down the freeway at a hundred miles per hour.
This is from a Hazelden meditation book: "Today we can slow down the pace and notice the things around us." More mindfulness. More reminders to be present.
The Toltecs: "If I see working through the filter of 'I want to" it is because I have placed my intent in that direction; I am working willingly. Remembering this makes all the difference in the world. Recognize you always have a choice, and once you've made a decision, follow through without resistance. You don't 'have to' do anything; but do choose to do many things, for many different reasons."
I dunno. This is one lovely intent but it's pretty tough to willingly go and have a root canal.
No comments:
Post a Comment