Realizing I have no idea what my intention is.
Wondering why I listened to a guided meditation about setting my intention after finding out I still don't know what my intention is.
How about staying in the moment? Right here - Right now.
How about building your own God? Like he's a Tinker Toy. Or an Etch-A-Sketch. Try different combinations until you get one you like. Then it's your God. Maybe it's me. It could be. I think I'd be a pretty good God. Why not me? I return time and time again to the Bill Murray line in Groundhog Day when he's trying to figure out why the day keeps repeating in an endless loop. He wonders if he's God. His alarmed and skeptical co-worker says: "Let me get this straight - you think you're God?" Bill says: "I didn't say that I'm THE God. Maybe I'm A God." I'm pretty sure that I'm part God. God-like. A minor God. Not the lead. Maybe I'd win Best Supporting God at the Oscars. I'm too selfish to be the lead God. I'd be skimming some good will and cash off the top of anyone I'd try to help in my role as minor God. A consigliari. A Gal Friday. A fixer. Got a problem? Give me a call I'll see what I can do.
The worst thing about my church God - admittedly a pretty good God in most aspects - was that if I didn't believe everything God said or - especially - if I behaved badly then I was going to Hell. This seems like an overreaction to me. I'm a gossip so I'm going to Hell? I'm lusty and selfish so I'm going to Hell? You install a powerful sex drive and then toss me into Hell for being lusty? Holy shit, that's messed up. There's no punishment from my current Erector Set God. My life was pretty Hellish before I got sober. I think I've done my time in Hell, served out my sentence, so now I'm shooting for Heaven. Heaven-ish, anyway. Someplace nice. California weather with Missouri prices.
My God is kind of a doofus. One of those characters that I thought was missing a few marbles when I ran into him. The kind of doofus who had a goofy smile on his face while his hair was on fire. He was trying to put it out - he's not that doofus-ey - but with an amazing amount of good cheer. "Hey, sometimes my whole head catches on fire so this is no big deal." This so reminds me of Alcoholics Anonymous and the laughter and buzz of good vibes that hits us when we go down the stairs and burst into a church basement full of recovering idiots.
No comments:
Post a Comment