Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Dee-Fense! Dee-Fense! Dee-Fense!

"When we stay in our safety zones where we feel comfortable and secure, we become firmly entrenched in a this-is-who-I-am mindset.  From this perspective, the worst thing imaginable is change.  The structure we've put so much time and effort into maintaining would all go away, and that would be terrible.  I have formed strong attachments which I am loathe to shatter.  I have confused this external thing or state of mind with who I am.  So . . . when the external circumstances change . . .  as all things do . .  .  how do I react?  When I've placed my sense of self in these things or this mindset what I do is try to defend it.  I argue for it.  I have to come up with definitions and meaning."
The Toltecs

Have you ever talked to a new person who's in the midst of burning their entire world down and been amazed at how they struggle to justify what they're doing?  It's talking to an insane person.  It's talking in a foreign language to an insane person.  When I'm so attached to a thing or a relationship or a lifestyle that I can't imagine changing it then the result is Suffering with a Capital S.

I like the idea of wearing the world like a loose garment.  I like the imagery of floating out of my head, up above my body, and looking down, watching myself interact with the world.  Most of the time I'm behaving reasonably but some of the time I'm an idiot; an idiot I cannot see well when I'm up inside my own head.  When I'm floating skyward I can see the whole scene from a larger perspective.  Not just my own stupid perspective and stupid it can most certainly be.

No comments: