Here's a side note: for a while when I was struggling to come to terms with the concept of a Higher Power I considered using Ozzy Osbourne. I was vaguely aware that this wasn't a great idea but being vaguely aware of anything was a big step up from being completely clueless. I figure I could do worse. Here are sample lyrics which explain why he was even a candidate:
Lost in the wheels of confusion,
Spinning through valleys of tears.
Eyes full of angry delusion,
Hiding in everyday fears.
I heard these lyrics and they buried themselves deeply into my subconscious immediately.
Ironically, most of the lyrics were written by the bass player Geezer Butler who was a seriously religious kid and seriously considered entering the priesthood. Go figure and before you judge someone in a band called Black Sabbath mayhaps you should keep an open mind.
Sometimes I have a topic which I write about and sometimes I don't. So here I am writing about Black Sabbath in a blog ostensibly about recovery.
Okay, let's go deep:
"The height of wisdom is to take things as they are . . . to endure what we cannot evade."
Montaigne
"The height of wisdom is to take things as they are . . . to endure what we cannot evade."
Montaigne
Lest you look down your nose at me for worshipping Ozzy Osbourne consider this quote from Montaigne, one of the most influential writers of the French Renaissance. He wrote in the 16th century which was a long time ago to be so smart. Basically, this quote is a forerunner to The Serenity Prayer. Have the wisdom to understand what you can do and what you cannot. It's not always action. Action is easier than waiting.
I once had a T-shirt that had two vultures sitting on a tree branch, one of them quipping: "Wait? Dammit, I want to kill something."
"What must I do is all that concerns me - not what people think. It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion, it is easy in solitude to live after our own - but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Now Ralphie was writing in the 20th century and so was Ozzy and Geezer so there's that. Ralphie has as a core philosophy that the natural world was a living, spiritual canvas where God, humans, and the universe were deeply unified. How cool is that shit? I tell people all the time that if you're having trouble establishing your own personal Higher Power connection go outside in as quiet a place as you can manage and look around you, have a listen, because there's a lot going on and much of it is pretty cool.
"I greet the ups and downs of life's journey with unconditional love for myself and the people in my life by understanding that I am only truly alive in the present moment: the future is a projection that does not exist."
The Toltecs
Error . . . . Uhhhhh . . . . One Day at a Time!
No comments:
Post a Comment