Sunday, August 23, 2026

Rock a bye, baby, in the tree tops.                                                                                                          When the wind blows, the cradle will rock.                                                                                         When the bough breaks the cradle will fall.                                                                                           And down will come cradle, baby and all.

Here's a visual from a Simpson's episode:  Marge is putting baby Maggie to bed and she begins to sing this lullaby.  Maggie begins to peacefully fall asleep as a thought bubble in the background shows her in a cradle that is rocking gently in the top branches of a tall tree.  She's smiling and Marge's voice is melodic, comforting.  The line about the branches breaking begins to worry her and then the final thought bubble shows the cradle with Maggie in it speeding through the branches on its way to smash up on the ground.  She's terrified and after Marge kisses her and turns out the light we see her wide-awake eyes as she sucks furiously on her pacifier, too agitated to sleep.  

Who comes up with this shit?  What deranged, Dark Ages nanny came up with this song.  It should be in a compilation called "How To Make Sure Your Infant Can't Fall Asleep."

From the chapter "A Vision For You" in the Plain Language Big Book: "They can't imagine their life without alcohol.  And some day, they won't be able to imagine life with alcohol or without it.  They won't want to imagine life continuing at all  A person who reaches this place will experience deep and extreme loneliness.  We say they are at the 'jumping-off place.'  They will wish to end their life."

The last time I drank I consumed a large, huge volume of 12% cream ale.  My recollection is a case of it.  I was too drunk to walk and my speech was thickly slurred.  Fair enough but the wicked catch was that I experienced not one minute of relief.  I was aware - no oblivion - and awake.  At some deep level I must have understood that the game was over.  I must have understood that it was recovery or misery.

"It is the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.  It will help you find relief from boredom and worry.  Your imagination will come alive.  Life will mean something at last.  The most satisfying years of your life lie ahead."

The Saturday morning Keep It Complicated meeting is larger than normal.  I picked up a new guy who doesn't have a car - I didn't have to say a word because he talked a blue streak the entire ride, confirming the strength of my morning serenity which is the outcome from the calm, peaceful life I have - and we got to the meeting early.  The room was pretty quiet and it got louder as more members arrived.  Not bad loud - joyful loud, good energy loud, happy loud.

I like that loud.


No comments: