Sunday, December 31, 2023

The Three Legacies

Legacy:  Something that is passed on; the long lasting impact of particular events, actions, etc. that took place in the past.

Do you know what the Three Legacies are?  I didn't, either.  Think about it and I'll reveal them at the end of the post.

Here's the D. Lama talking about the benefits of meditation and spiritual growth: "The real value of practice is seen when we face a difficult period.  When we are happy and everything goes smoothly, then practice seems not so urgent, but when we face unavoidable problems such as sickness, old, age, death, or other desperate situations, it becomes crucial to control our anger, to control our emotional feelings, and to use our good human minds to determine how to fact that problem with patience and calm."

I like how he emphasizes that we should properly use our "good minds" to transcend difficulties.

When someone is worrying unduly about unimportant things or about things that are unlikely to happen try this comment: "Are you telling yourself scary stories again?"

My morning meeting is listed as Open which means anyone is welcome.  Almost no one comes, of course, except for alcoholics or people who are alcoholics taking great pains to tell us why they're not alcoholics, although we get an occasional nursing student or Al-Anon member.  There's a woman from Al-Anon who has been attending regularly right now.  She has never shared - identifying only as a visitor - but has told me many times how much she's getting out of the meetings.  Good for her and she's most welcome.  I showed up late on Saturday - I spent some time unsuccessfully trying to unclog my toilet - and I was in the kitchen making tea while the introductory readings were going on when she drifted in, asked if she could talk to me for a minute, then spent some time effusively apologizing for her behavior towards me the previous day.  She had actually slept poorly worrying about it.  Once again, I was so pleased to be able to lean in and whisper: "I have no idea what you're talking about."  I really didn't.  She was relieved.  

Once again, no one is thinking about you.

Recovery.  Unity.  Service.  Three of 'em.  Count 'em.

No comments: