Friday, December 8, 2023

Don't Fall Off a Cliff Today

"We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong.  The amount of work is the same."  Carlos Castaneda 

I cannot yell at anyone in recovery any more.  We're not stupid - we know what we're doing, at least in a vague and peripheral way.  If I tell someone who is smoking meth that it's probably not a good idea no one is going to say: "Really!  Wow, I never thought of that!  Thanks for pointing that out!"  This week a woman asked me to give her daughter - who is struggling to stay sober - a hard time, shake her up, yell at her.  "Sorry," I said.  "Not my style."  I just can't do it anymore.  Not that I ever did it much, but the people I find myself drawn to in The Rooms are generally so hard on themselves that I can't bring myself to heap on more.  Most of us know what we're doing - we just don't want to make the changes yet.  The tragedy is that it ends up being too late for some of us.

I look at my Higher Power the same way.  I'm sure there's positive stuff in the religious tomes and tracts that I was subjected to in my youth but it was the dire warnings that stuck in my mind.  I'm a negative guy who is drawn to the problem or the shortcoming in everything.  For chrissake my job was to try to find or anticipate problems in machinery.  Why would I think this wouldn't translate to my personal life?  And to repeat myself: humans who spent energy anticipating trouble survived and passed this worry-anxiety gene to their progeny.  Happy go lucky ones fell off cliffs.

Talk is cheap.  Show me - don't tell me.

No comments: