Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Angry Chris

 Here's another Angry Chris anecdote . . . 

I state repeatedly that talk is great but talk is also cheap and behavior, action, is where the rubber meets the road.  I have heard far too many people speak platitudes with their lying mouths and then behave in ways that I find objectionable.  Don't tell me - show me.  Anyway, Chris would share driving stories early on.  I don't know what it is about guys but driving is one huge trigger.  Why we think other drivers are out to torment us personally is beyond my understanding but we seem to think that someone stranger in a car has it out for us personally.  For a while he would get so pissed that he would turn around and follow someone whose driving offended him.  Then that stopped.  The stories shifted to where there was a lot of horn-honking and curse-hurling and bird-flashing and first waving, but he no longer chased the offending party.  There was radio silence for a while until he shared the story of driving through a neighborhood on Halloween night with his girlfriend and her kids and being admonished by a parent for driving too fast.  He gritted his teeth, admitted his infraction, and then drove off slowly, muttering death threats and curses and imprecations at this person.  I loved it.  Bad action gives way to bad speech gives way to bad thinking.  Bad thinking is something I still have to work on - I'm much better at it, no longer damning people to an eternity on a lake of fire - but, boy, it's a far sight better than  

No comments: