Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Of Buddhas and Hammers

Om Mani Padme Hum  - "On the path of life, with intention and wisdom, we can achieve the pure body, speech, and mind of a Buddha."

I wonder sometimes if I'm a Buddha?  Not THE Buddha, mind you, but maybe a lesser Buddha or a minor Buddha.  A bush-league Buddha.  Buddha-lite - half the wisdom of a full Buddha while still staying preachey.

Most of us are alone at some point during the day.  Time alone - with myself and my Higher Power - is an incredibly important part of my day.  In this stillness, I can listen to myself and feel my feelings without the constant distractions of the day.  When I'm still with myself I'm not running away from the silence.  It means feeling my feelings, whether they're good or bad.  It's a time for reflection and prayer.  Sometimes I just let my mind idle down, let it go wherever it wants to go while making a conscious effort to gently nudge it away from the negative and towards the positive.  This is a lot harder than it sounds.  I have to fight the urge to solve problems or uncover deficiencies.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of things I believe I have to work on at one time.  When I feel overwhelmed I know this is my mind telling me I need to throttle back.  Honestly, I'm not sure I have a throttle so I'm guessing I'm going to have a hard time throttling it one way or the other.  I wonder if there's a throttle control of some kind?  There could be - you never know.  I'm like the dude who gets a headache from reading too much then decides to read a little more in case the headache goes away.  I'm like the guy who beats on his forehead with a hammer and then complains about the headache. 

No comments: