Sunday, May 16, 2021

It's So Fine

Fine:  Being acceptable, adequate, passable, or satisfactory. 

Here's why I talk to friends one-on-one . . . 

One of my Go To dudes is a kind of mediator between disparate public agencies so he's practiced in the art of herding cats.  I'm less skilled in this arena.  I think most cats are idiots so they should all listen to me and do what I want and, thank God, the cats don't generally do this.  We were shooting the shit today about the severe polarization of our society and how this is affecting life as society begins to open back up and particularly how this affects A.A. as we transition back into a more familiar world.

One of my favorite words is fine.  It sums up so many areas of my life.  It's also remarkably hard to put into action.  When some part of my life seems out of control, unmanageable, objectionable in some way I often say: "It's going to be fine."  And it usually is.

We were talking about how different Alcoholics Anonymous groups are handing the transition from Zoom to In Person as churches and municipal buildings begin allowing us to meet again.  My trials and tribulations with the Keep It Complicated group are well documented.  The business meeting for his home group is so structured that everyone present is given the chance to speak - they go around the screen, in other words, instead of the free-for-all that occurs when my home group meets.

When it got to my buddy he said: "If we stay on Zoom, it'll be fine.  If we meet in person, it'll be fine.  If we set up a hybrid meeting of some kind, it'll be fine.  And it's probably going to be fine in a way that we don't anticipate."  It was that last phrase that really rocked my world.  It's a reminder that I can plan and plan and control and control but life usually weaves and jukes according to its own rhythms.

My home group was meeting in person for the first time today.  I decided not to attend because I anticipated the first meeting would be a little chaotic; then I decided to attend to show my support; finally I got up this morning and didn't go.

It was fine.  I'm having a fine day.

No comments: