Friday, May 7, 2021

Calamity

 Calamity:  The distress that results from a great disaster.

"We know this because we see monotony, pain, and even calamity turned to good use by those who keep trying to practice A.A.'s Twelve Steps.   Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity."

I've had like four calamities in my life - and none in the last 35 years - but, to hear me talk, you'd think I was under a constant mortal threat.

This whole idea of being hard on myself . . . Where does this come from?  Why can't alcoholics give themselves a break?  When I was physically sober but not yet emotionally sober I would often leave a sales call - a sales call where I SOLD SOMETHING - and sit in my car, feeling bad about myself.  I didn't sell more things or a more expensive thing or meet more people to sell more expensive things to.  This is too much.  This is a joyless existence.  It's wonderful to be motivated, another altogether to be compulsive about it.

Dude talked this morning about suffering through some growing pains.  He's maybe four years sober.  I've been at this for 35 years and I'm still suffering through growing pains.

Another dude talked about his coworkers chiding him for being a little intense.  If this guy reduces his intensity 90% he may get to a little intense.  He's a long, long way from a little intense.

I asked a guy before the meeting started today if he lived in our town.  He paused.  "That's an interesting question," he replied.  Only in A.A.  "Where do you live" is not a trick question.  You should have a quick response to that one.

"God takes our efforts for good and blesses them.  God needs our efforts.  Our efforts are necessary.  We cannot merely relax and drift with the tide.  When difficulties come, our efforts are needed to surmount them.  But God directs our efforts into the right channels and God's power is necessary to help us choose the right."

No comments: