Saturday, July 11, 2020

Trapped in a Maze of Circular Logic

"The veneration of the dead, including one's ancestors, is based on love and respect for the deceased.  In some cultures, it is related to beliefs that the dead have a continued existence, and may possess the ability to influence the fortune of the living.  (In some cultures) the goal of ancestor veneration is to ensure the ancestors' continued well-being and positive disposition towards the living, and sometimes to ask for special favors or assistance."  Wikipedia

"A whole family, harmonious and devout.  Aware of debts to our parents and ancestors.  Revering Nature, grateful for society."  Excerpt from "A Song of Gratitude" by the Japanese Buddhist Monk Soen Ozeki

Ozeki capitalizes the word Nature.  The implication here is that nature is more important than society or that, at least, it occupies a higher plane.

There is an emphasis on being grateful for those who have come before us.  In my morning Quiet Time I try to reflect for a moment on my grandparents, my parents, and an aunt and uncle who were so influential in my early life.  These good people weren't perfect, of course, just flawed humans doing the best they could at the time with the tools they had.  Whenever I get mad at something I think they should have done but didn't or something they did that they shouldn't have I try to come back to this fact: that I'm a pretty decent person.  Based on the long-term results even though they made some mistakes they did a good job overall.

My religion assures me that all of them are in a good place so I don't labor under the illusion that my actions can improve their situation but I do like to remember what they did for me.  This keeps them alive in my heart and this fills my heart, not always with joy but always with gratitude.

I continue to investigate the concept of Regret, the tension between the belief that I needed to go through everything I went through to become the good man I believe I am and the supposition that if I had known the future when I was growing up would I have changed things to make them "better?"

A maze of circular logic, semantically speaking.

No comments: