Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Damn Steps, Anyway

"Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs."  Step Five.

I get too hung up on the "another human being" part of Step Five.  Funny that it's last in the unholy triumvirate of admittees.  I guess I'm vaguely aware of God being mentioned but, boy, do I gloss over the part about admitting the exact nature of our wrongs to ourselves, too.  Why would I want to know anything about my defects of character?

Exact:  Precisely agreeing with the truth.

"Relieve me of the bondage of self . . . "  Third Step Prayer, fragmented.

Self:  Self-interest or personal advantage.

I am so sick of this preoccupation with the idea that I'm preoccupied with myself.  Selfish, self-interested, self-centered, self-absorbed, self, self, self!  Quit talking about anything except for me!

"Take away my difficulties, that victory over them would bear witness to those I would help . . . "  Third Step Prayer, further fragmented.

Wait a minute . . . take away my difficulties so that I can help someone?  What the fuck?  I want my difficulties taken away so that I don't have any difficulties.

Difficulty:  An obstacle that hinders achievement of a goal.

No comments: