Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Steps 6 and 7: The Throwaway Steps ( :) )

"The chief activator of our defects has been self-centered fear - primarily fear that we would lose something we already possessed or would fail to get something we demanded.   Living upon a basis of unsatisfied demands, we were in a state of continual disturbance and frustration.  Therefore, no peace was to be had unless we could find a means of reducing these demands.  The difference between a demand and a simple request is plain to anyone." 12&12 P 76.

Demand: A forceful claim for something.
Request: To ask for something. 

"Until now, our lives have been largely devoted to running from pain and problems.  We fled from them as from a plague.  We never wanted to deal with the fact of suffering."  12&12 P 74.

"Else why would we consume such great amounts of time wishing for what we have not, rather than working for it, or angrily looking for attributes we shall never have, instead of adjusting to the fact, and accepting it?  12&12 P 67.

I got sober on August 16, 1987.  I almost never talk about that because I have enough trouble with my ego as it is.  I hope one thing I bring to meetings is the fact that I'm not fixed.  I'm not all better.  I have problems of money, power, and sex just like you do and I try to admit to those when I share.  There's nothing worse than an old-timer who acts like everything is just fine all the time.   I do have some experience working through these kinds of problems.  I know what to do, what kinds of action to take to get though these challenges.  I don't even like the word "problem."  My buddy tomorrow talks about AFGOs:  Another Fucking Growth Opportunity.

So my current problem is the pandemic.  It has been inconvenient for me and it is - after all - all about me.  My tendency is to dwell in the problem.  I know what the solution is so why do I hang around way too long in the problem?  Human nature?  Bookman nature?  I don't know.

So lets's talk about solving problems.  The pandemic is a boil on my ass right now.  Nobody's happy about the pandemic.  Nobody wants to hear why you're unhappy about the pandemic but we don't want to pretend that the pandemic isn't here.  

Do I live in the problem, frustrated and angry, or do I find a way to accept that I'm not getting what I want or having to do something that I don't want to do?

No comments: