Wednesday, July 8, 2020

One Day At A Time

Some more early theories on alcoholism that have held up beautifully over the years, courtesy of Richard Peabody . . . 

"The intellectual idea of abstinence is not of itself adequate to carry on the cure conscientiously over a sufficient period of time.  It takes sustained effort to unite the intellectual concept which led the alcoholic to seek help with that consistent form of action which is an expression of an automatic attitude rather than a monument to will power."

"Whatever may be the theoretical desire and intention, the old habits do not die as quickly or as easily as one could wish, nor are they dead and buried as soon as the patient considers them to be.  The habits of five, ten, and perhaps twenty years' standing are not going to pass out of the picture in as many days or even weeks, no matter how intelligent or conscientious a man may be in his application to the work.  He has got to keep on directing his mental processes in a formal and definite manner for at least a year after his last debauch."

I share the following personal timelines for my recovery process.

It took me two years before I had a clue as to what was going on in Alcoholics Anonymous.
It took me five years to come to some kind of understanding of a Higher Power.
It took me ten years to really, truly internalize what it meant to live a spiritual way of life.

I'm careful to point out that these time frames are very loose and approximate and to emphasize that my life was steadily improving.  The thrust of the comments here are that my recovery was slow and steady, sometimes slooooooow and steady.  Often I was slogging through the day in a manner that can be best characterized as a purposeful trudge.  There was very little joyful skipping and mincing and prancing.  It was hard work getting rid of the thoughts and urges that compelled me to drink.

One Day At A Time.

No comments: